I testify that there is no deity worthy of worship but Him and Muhammad is His messenger who said:
” The best of your leaders are those whom you love and who
love you, who invoke God’s blessings upon you and you invoke His blessings upon them. And the worst of your rulers are those whom you
hate and who hate you and whom you curse and who curse you. It was asked (by those present): Shouldn’t we
overthrow them with the help of the sword? He said: No , as long as they establish prayer among you. If you then find anything detestable in them. You should hate their disobedience to Allah, but do not withdraw yourselves from their obedience.”
Personal attributes required for leadership:
- Piety. It means humility, being conscious of Allah’s presence and fearing Him at all times. Piety makes a leader humble and more sincere at his work.
- Justice at all time even in circumstances where verdict goes against own interest.
- Patience and tolerance . A leader is prone to challenges such as criticism of opposition, failure in desired success, debate on decision making. Patience and tolerance are very good tools to such.
- Trustworthiness . It is a psychological contract between the leader and his followers in which the leader will try his best to guide, protect and treat the followers with justice.
- Dependence on Allah . Meaning total submission to Allah after designing plans, policies and strategies to achieve any lawful objective.
- Consultation . It is the quality to share views and exchange of opinions in any vital matter.
- Accountability . A leader is mostly responsible for his and he is bound to be accountable to his followers and Allah.
- Knowledge and wisdom . Allah said: “And their prophet said to them, “Indeed, Allah has sent to you Saul as a king.” They said, “How can he have kingship over us while we are more worthy of kingship than him and he has not been given any measure of wealth?” He said, “Indeed, Allah has chosen him over you and has increased him abundantly in knowledge and stature. And Allah gives His sovereignty to whom He wills. And Allah is all-Encompassing [in favor] and Knowing.” Qur’an 2:247.
- Spirit of sacrifice . That is to set examples by own work and sacrifice for follower to emulate him, rely on him and make greater sacrifice.
These are but few of broad attributes. there are more attributes that are details and would be discussed in another time Allah willing.
May Allah grant and bestow us with good leaders, provide our leaders with good aids, assistants and inner circles.
May Allah grant us peace, good living, progress, piety and good obedience.
May Allah grant us Al-Jannah.